Im really excited to start this new topic on my blog. I first posted something about this on my facebook page and twitter page so these questions are just the beginning stages of what’s to come. If you haven’t noticed, I recently added a new link to the homepage of my blog, Advice & Questions. I try to cover all things hair and beauty on this site, however I want to hear from you! I want your suggestions, your issues, your questions! Every so often I will post a new blog story, and you just may see your question answered. Questions will be posted anonymous, so fear not!
Introducing, drum roll please, You Have Questions, I Have Answers Part 1…
Q. Any advice for covering my gray hair? My roots show so quickly, and I just can’t afford to get to the salon every few weeks to touch them up.
A. I get this question often from clients. We all dread gray hair, but it’s a fact of life, so it’s something we have to learn to live with. Though I have yet to find or hear about a miracle product, there are some that may help you get by an extra week or 2 before your color service. One product I looked at recently at Sephora was Oscar Blandi Pronto Color Pen. You can purchase it online, but I’d suggest going into Sephora to take a look at the product and be sure you get the right color match. As for hair mascaras, don’t be afraid to try yours out on your roots! If you have brown or black hair give it a shot. Don’t go crazy, but try it on those trouble areas and see if it works for you. It won’t damage your hair, and may be just enough coverage to get you by. You can purchase real “hair mascaras”, but it’s all pretty much the same thing anyway. Also, talk with your hairstylist about this issue. See if they have any color or styling suggestions for you that may ease the pain of your re-growth. If you find you’re needing to get into the salon every 3 weeks and it’s just too expensive, it never hurts to ask your stylist if they can work something out with you.
Q. I recently had a baby and I’ve noticed pretty significant hair loss, mainly around my hairline. Should I be concerned?
A. Approximately 90% of your hair is growing at any one time, while the other 10% enter a resting phase. Every two to three months the resting hair falls out and allows new hair to grow in its place. To get specific, telogen effluvium is the excessive shedding of hair that occurs one to five months following pregnancy. This is not uncommon, affecting somewhere between 40 to 50% of women. This change is usually temporary, so don’t be worried. The hair should start coming in as usual about 6- 12 months after your baby is born. During this time of hair loss, consult with your hairstylist about any hairstyling options that may help you get over the hurdle. If you still feel that you are losing lots of hair after about a year after giving birth, just chat with your doctor and see what they think. And remember, on average we all lose up to 100 strands of hair per day!
Q. Should I color my eyebrows if I change my hair color?
A. To me, this is a case by case situation. I generally stay away from coloring eyebrows, unless I think a client really needs it. This isn’t something to try at home though, so PLEASE ask your hairstylist or eyebrow specialist for assistance and advice. If you are a natural blonde, with blonde eyebrows and dye your hair dark or deep red, you may want to first try using an eyebrow pencil to darken your brows. My favorite is Lancome Le Crayon Poude Powder Pencil. If the pencil isn’t cutting it, and you know FOR SURE you want to stay dark for a long time, then it may be OK to darken your brows. It can become high maintenance though, because just like the hair on our heads, your brows will have roots, so it’s something you have to address every month or so. And if you are a natural brunette who has become a natural blonde, cough cough, don’t jump too fast to think you need to lighten your brows. Again, ask your stylist or eyebrow professional what they think. For me, sometimes I just look at a client and say, “today let’s soften your brows a little”. I will never make them too light, it’s more breaking the harsh line of the dark. This is NOT done with bleach, so don’t even think about that! I’ve heard horror stories of girls bleaching their eyebrows.
Keep your questions coming, and I’d love to hear what you think about my new blog addition!