Is your hair feeling extra dry lately? Mine too. Even though hair is my life I tend to forget to give my own hair proper TLC and from time to time have to whip myself back into shape. Here are some of my favorite tips and tricks to keep your hair healthy, shiny, and moisturized all summer.
1. Chlorine is the devil. Not really, but kind of. Chlorine dries your hair out so much, and is really troublesome to get off your hair even with clarifying shampoo’s. Plus it fades your hair color and can create brassy tones on blondes. If you can avoid diving under water while at the pool do so at all costs.
2. Coconut Oil rocks my world. This stuff is AMAZING for your hair! Anytime you are relaxing at home you should goop this stuff all over your hair and let it sit for a bit. Wrap your hair in a shower cap or towel for extra heat and penetration. If you have dry scalp massage the oil into it. Once you’ve treated your hair or scalp you can then wash and condition per usual. Side note, coconut oil is a great natural moisturizer for your lips and skin.
3. Ditch your heat tools and represent the hair you were born with! I know how hard it is to do this, but trust me your hair will change for the better and you will save so much time styling. I recently started a “natural hair challenge” on my Facebook and Twitter pages, encouraging my followers to attempt to work with their natural texture. I’ve been posting product suggestions and getting great feedback! Don’t know where to begin when wearing your hair natural? Check out this story I wrote all about that here.
4. Make a commitment this season to take your vitamins. We tend to forget that healthy hair begins on the inside. My personal combo at the moment for my hair is Biotin and Vitamin E. These help with hair growth and they also nourish your scalp which in turn nourishes your precious strands of hair. Side effect is your skin will feel amazing and your nails and lashes will grow quicker as well.
5. Hat’s should be your best friend during the summer. Seriously, wear a hat whenever possible. They protect your hair from the drying sun, protect your scalp from getting burned, and allow you to skip styling your hair. Plus they can actually be really cute and snazz up a boring outfit.
Now go get your butt to the pool, grab a cold beverage, and enjoy yourself this summer 🙂